Monday, April 9, 2012

Emotional Intelligence, Part II

A five-part process to rewire the brain toward more emotionally intelligent behaviors was designed by Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis, and Annie McKee. Their five components involve leaders asking themselves the following questions:

1. Who do I want to be?
2. Who am I now?
3. How do I get from here to there?
4. How do I make change stick?
5. Who can help me?

The answers will vary by person.

Goleman, Boyatzis, and McKee also suggest that the process begins with imagining your ideal self and then coming to terms with your real self, as others experience you. The next step is creating a tactical plan to bridge the gap between ideal and real, and after that, to practice those activities. It concludes with creating a community of colleagues and family--call them change-enforcers--to keep the process alive.

The answers and actions thereafter may prevent an emotional train wreck in the office.

No comments: