Monday, April 16, 2012

Emotional Moods, Part I

If leaders do not have emotional intelligence, they may not be able to develop the ability to manage personal moods and the moods of followers. For example, my mood and behavior drives the moods and behaviors of followers. If I am bad-tempered and ruthless, I could cause a meltdown and create a toxic organization. If, on the other hand, I am inspirational and inclusive, I should be able to create an organization of people able to meet any challenge.

If emotional moods are such powerful drivers in organizational life, you must ensure you are regularly optimistic and authentic and, when appropriate, demonstrate high energy. Obviously, it is difficult to be that way all the time. However, if you are upbeat, reliable, and cheerful, your actions should generate a performance-oriented organization. Such emotions are caught by others. A cheerful mood swiftly spreads among followers.

This dynamic of how moods affect people and organizations is called resonance.

No comments: